View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 04:09 AM   #25
MaxPF

Re: A K5 Cummins Conversion: The saga continues...

One thing I really wanted to add during this revamp was an intercooler. I knew it would help fuel economy a bit, but mainly it would help keep EGTs in check during long pulls up a grade. It would also be necessary if I wanted to utilize my new injectors and #6 fuel plate. However, in order to fit an air-to-air intercooler I would have to put the radiator back to the stock position, which would in turn mean i would have to procure an un-molested core support and somehow finding a fan that would fit in the meager space available. The alternative would be to run a liqud-to-air IC, but that means more parts. and potentially less efficiency. What to do?

Here's what I did:

Yup, I returned to an unmolested core support, built brackets, and stuffed a 12"x24"x3" core IC in front. Now, as I mentioned, this would mean I need to find a fan that will fit in the narrow space between the big radiator and the engine. Said fan needs to be able to pull a lot more air than the 6.2 fan was able to muster. I found just the fan:

I had to get it nice and close to the engine accessories in order to maximize space between it and the radiator:

I sanded the core support and IC mounting brackets, primed em, and sprayed 'em with PPG acrylic urethane:

Right behind the IC and between it and the condenser I fitted a Long stacked-plate cooler for the PS fluid. Here you can see it peeking out the side:

Here it is with the big radiator (late 90's 454 radiator). There isn't a ton of room between the fan and radiator, but it's enough:

Here's another view. Yup, there's a condenser in there too!

Another issue created by the addition of the IC is an inlet elbow on the intake manifold. The aftermarket ones were a bit too pricey for my taste, so I had settled on building one. At some point I started playing with the old one I had made, and it looked like it could work if the plumbing would clear the brake master cylinder. After some checking and double checking I decided it would work, so I cleaned it up, sprayed it with my usual wrinkle black, and baked it. Here's the finished product:

Next up: exhaust! My favoritest thing! [/sarcasm]
1991 V1500 Blazer (Silverado), 5.9L 12V P-pumped Cummins (5x .012 sac injectors, #6 fuel plate, WH1C with external 38mm wastegate running 30psi), NV4500 with 1-⅜" input shaft, SBC Con-O clutch, NP205, HAD, 4.10 D61/14BFF spinning 37" Nitto Exo's

"I got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive."
MaxPF is offline   Reply With Quote