View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #12
mr48chev

Re: Flatout IFS install for maximum ride height

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
A guy doesn't have to justify his ride height to anyone. Someone is asking how to add a suspension setup from a corvette-a very low car- using a kit designed to lower the truck. So naturally, it raises some questions about why this kit would be used from a practical standpoint. Does that make sense? .
I'd have to say that was my original point in post 2 even though some took it wrong. The Flat out crossmember doesn't really work well with the close to Stock AD truck height nor do many MII setups.

Probably the best crossmember to have independent suspension, disk brakes and power steering with and maintain close to stock AD or TF truck height without hassles would be a Jag XJ front end. In truth it might work better installed in a stock height truck than it does in a low truck because you would have plenty of steering rack clearance with the suspension setting down lower from the frame rails. It could even be mounted on a TF using the complete Jag subframe piece with the rubber bushings if one wanted to do that rather than trim the scabs and weld it in. Outside of coming out of 4000 lb cars and being plenty stout along with being unbolted from the donor as a complete unit probably the best part of the XJ suspension is that the spring pockets are completely outside of AD inner fenders and may completely clear TF inner fenders leaving a stock look in the engine compartment outside of steering shaft location.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote