View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 06:46 PM   #178
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: 1969 Custom/10 clean up

The linkage increases the movement of the push rod into the booster/master cylinder. If the rod from the pedal pushes in 1/4" the rod into the M/C is about twice that. Mine has the same set up. It looks like the booster on the truck is a standard C-10 unit and the ones in the box are the C-20 units.

Did you get the rod from the power brake set up that connects to the brake pedal? They are different lengths. The non-power brake rod from the pedal is shorter and won't work on a power brake set up. The rod into the booster may also be different between the C-10 and C-20 booster styles but I'm not sure on that.

Have you measured how much vacuum you have? It should be a good 15" or more at idle. Mine will run about 10-12" while driving and increase at idle. Drops to almost nothing when accelerating. Measure it at the vacuum line to the booster.

If the brakes and master cylinder are properly bled (not always easy, I did mine multiple times) and the brakes properly adjusted the brakes should be firm. If you have too much pedal movement before you feel pressure then the rod connected to the brake pedal needs adjusted.

When I converted to power brakes I had to learn how to brake again because they grabbed so much harder and quicker than I was used to. I used the C-20 booster set up.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote