Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #1002
SCOTI

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
Good point. Now you have me thinking of bleacher seats and things alike. I will have to research this a little more now before I finalize my decision. I was thinking the aluminum would have been re-inforced on the bottom to make it strong, and then also not have the maintenance that wood would have. I spoke to another member with one of these floors and the smokey road rod shop owner, when asked "what about dings and nicks" he replied your going to get the same with wood if you drop something heavy or something on it's corner for example. But thinking about your point, aluminum may dent easier if its not built well enough, wood dents(for the most part) can just be sanded and re-stained/sealed. Aluminum is dented forever unless you can hammer it out.

Exactly.

Have you compared pricing to a nice wood set-up? I saw the 'Smokey Road' display @ a show & recall the $$ investment was a bit more vs wood? Quick Google numbers:
Smoky Road
Short fleet painted strips = 1299 + 115/ship = $1414
Short fleet SS/polished = 1399 + 130/ship = 1529
LWB fleet painted strips = 1399 + 180/ship = $1579
LWB fleet SS/polished = 1400 + 225/ship = 1724

Mar-K (no ship prices listed)
Short fleet, pine, painted strips = 451 + 101 = $552
Short fleet pine, SS/polished = 451 + 221 = 672
LWB fleet pine, painted strips = 466 + 111 = $577
LWB fleet pine, SS/polished = 466 + 251 = 717

Yes, you still need to account for the finishing costs for the wood in addition to the parts but tell me you would chunk something on top of a $1500-1700 floor??

While I agree wood can be damaged just as easily, that's the difference. Both damage easily but wood can be purchased MUCH cheaper. I purchased equal or better quality wood vs that listed above from my local Lowes (same GRADE pine, Kiln dried, but planed on top & bottom vs top only for the bed wood supplier/Mar-K) for about $230. Granted, it needs to be modified to work for a bed floor but that's still a significant amount less. I can't afford a $1k floor that will probably be dented the first time I throw the cooler or whatever heavy object back there because my trucks get used as a truck (I do put cardboard down or moving blankets for heavy/irregular items).

Now, if it's a show-boat or parade-queen that only gets a blanket laid down & some light weight aluminum chairs + small plastic cooler chest I get that.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote