Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 03:08 PM   #1019
SkidmoreGarage

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
Ran a vent line from my Tanks INC unit(rollover vent) to where the new gas filler will be ran in side of bed. I used a 9/32 vacuum line. I found this dorman vent cap at local auto parts store. Should do the trick. Used same line and dorman cap on axle vent. This line is kinda small, but it's what came with the Tanks INC pump unit I installed in my tank. So I ran it all the way up so it will be installed in same place the gas filler cap will be, but it will be secured higher than the cap. Once I get the rest of my parts to complete the gas filler setup and get to drive to pump and test it, I won't know if the 9/32 line will be large enough or not. If it's not, I have another 5/8" nipple on the tank I will use instead. But I will have to find a vent cap for that size of line, not sure if they make one that large...

I may have missed it, but wanted to offer my experience/learning. Thanks for sharing the dorman part. I'll be needing a couple of those.

It sounds like you created the vent tube for the tank (with rollover valve). This should be sufficient to purge the tank during heat cycling and normal fuel use. I would use low pressure fuel line for this, rather than vacuum hose. Even with vapor, I wouldn't expect the rubber to last very long with ethanol. You will also find that it will create a lot of fuel smell as it is more porous than fuel hose.

If you want to be able to fill the tank using a modern pump, you will want to use the 5/8" line and run it up to the filler neck above where the pump nozzle terminates when inserted.

I have a vanagon,and from the factory they have undersized filling vents. It means that the filler will puke fuel everywhere when it auto shuts off, even at low flow, and on some pumps it won't stay on.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote