View Single Post
Old 01-27-2024, 04:18 PM   #361
omodified

Re: "Midnight Rider" 1970 C10 SWB Fleetside

The next step is removing the Rub N Buff. During this step, I realized the lint-free rags that I originally bought are actually lint-free...on one side. Too bad I didn't discover that earlier. During my test runs, I experimented with several different chemicals to remove the silver. The best thing I found that actually still left a nice paintable surface was wax and grease remover.

This process, of course, takes a while too. It's very easy to remove too much silver if your rag becomes too saturated. I would guess I used about 20 rags per long board. The first few swipes can be liberal. Once you start seeing black, you really have to slow down and be precise. Keeping the rag clean for each swipe is important. Keep pushing your work from one end to the other. I used long q-tips to keep the holes and recesses cleaned up. I hope they all turn out as good as the first one. Here it is compared to just black.

Another done. I just can't do too many in one day. The smell is terrible.

A few days later and I have some more boards finished. this is looking really nice.

After a week, this phase is all wrapped up. I'll let this sit for another few days before the next step begins.

Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848

Last edited by omodified; 05-04-2024 at 04:01 PM.
omodified is offline   Reply With Quote