View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 02:18 AM   #1280
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
A lot of sweet pics, thanks Mr.Mosesburb. How old do you think that barn is on the previous page? Covered wagon settler old? Those chunks laying on the road would be deadly. That is massive amounts of wash out. That's a sad sight of the marina that is gone now. I bet you see a lot of that on your travels. The water issue on the west doesn't sound like a good deal. Those bridges are nice. The stone one is pretty awesome. Did you dare to go across it on foot?
No idea how old the barn is. No, none of these natural bridges are accessible to walk on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
On our vacatoin to the Ozarks last month, we did some Nick Blank expedition-ing again. this time we went n search of 2 old bridges used for the military before world war 2. They are referred to as 2 swinging bridges. We drove over the first which was steel sheet covered suspended by steel cabling. It had a weight limit of 15ton. We were in a borrowed '14 F350 CC LWB diesel 4x4. I felt that was safe. The next bridge was twice as long with a 5 ton limit. It was wood decked. I was out. Haha We walked across it and there were spots where I was sagging. There was a couple at one end under it fishing,"Yelling drive across, we do all the time." They were driving a grand cherokee. Go right ahead. No way I'm pole vaulting that rig. I'll have to load the video some time and the pics to show you.
Ha, sounds like fun. I've crossed some sketchy bridges in my day, both in personal as well as work vehicles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lower50's View Post
Wow so crazy. It must have rained really hard. The natural bridges are neat. Is or was there a dam to form the lake? Good to see the "impossible meet-up" worked out.
Yeah, a couple of the storms were literally like a lake falling out of the sky. With so much dry and rock in the area, the water really has nowhere to go but to run off. Flash floods can happen faster than one thinks is even possible.

The lake is Lake Powell, which is retained by the Glen Canyon Dam in Page, AZ.

The "impossible meet-up" was a thing of beauty. It really worked out very well. I wish we would have been closer so we could have spent more time here and there along the way, but with all the rain, it probably worked out for the best anyway. Kind of strange meeting someone in the middle of nowhere with no communication since the day before.