View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: The not-often-seen Blazer Chalet

Dang thats a solid Chalet. Welcome to the board. I'll give you a quick heads up on the hinge pin replacement. It's not that hard. We just did it on mine a couple of months ago.

Go to any local part store that carries the "help" brand of parts. Most if not all the chain stores carry that line. You need 2 kits per door, 4 total. The kits come with two sizes of bushings to put back in. The smaller one fits in the hinge if the hole hasn't been wobbled open. The larger one will go in a wobbled out hole after you drill it out slightly. I was able to use the small bushings on all but one location.

The job is easiest if you unbolt the doors from the hinges. Do this at the door side of the hinge. (a second pair of hands is needed here) One the door is out of the way, drive the old pins out. We ended up cutting them in half with a die grinder and forcing one side up and the other side down. With the pins out you can assess the damage. factory bushings were plastic and when they wore out, the wobbling of the hole starts. So you may have to use the larger bushings. Tap the bushings in place and reassemble the hinge tapping the pin through both. Then you can put the door back on.

Keep in mind that you will need to re-align the door once you bolt it back up. (don't just slam it shut after bolting the door on!) The hinges are where the adjustment happens. The mounts to the door can bring the door in and out to the sides whereas the hinge mounts at the body close or open the gaps to the fender and quarter panels. You may need to adjust the striker pin also.

Replacing the pins took less time than the door adjustments. We must have taken one door off 6 times to get it right. Take your time and do a good job. Before you would have to slam the snot out of the door to get it to shut on mine (either side). Now they shut like a new truck.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote