View Single Post
Old 05-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #64
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: "Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
Oh, another build to follow with great features and fine attention to detail! I'm excited.

Preliminary questions that I don't think have been asked or already answered:

Keeping it 8-lug? Interior/exterior color(s), single tone, two-tone, deluxe two-tone? (You mentioned an early pattern to the seats, I love the green houndstooth they used to use.) Have any of your trucks had a wrapped dash? Are you a fan of that look? The possibilities with stitching are intriguing. With your use of Mike Losh's tubs on Elwood, would you consider a set of his buddy buckets for Jake? Possible Vortec 454 you say, backed by a 4L80E? I haven't researched the newer stuff, would it be possible to use one of the newer 6-speed autos?
Lets see if I can break these down.

Suspension- I have given it lots of thought and the 14 bolt C20 suspension limits what aftermarket products I can use. I plan to go with a 89-91 10 bolt with 3.73 gears. Its not as HD as the 14 bolt but it will do everything I need it to and gives me an unlimited selection in wheel styles.

I will be working with RideTech again. Its possible we may update the early style 4 link, and E3 system. I will probably run 1/4" valves rather than the Big Red 3/8" I have used in the past.

Interior- I plan to run a stock styled interior. I am working with Mike Losh to design a seat bracket so his Buddy Bucket will fit a 73-87 floor. I havent decided what insert material I will use yet, but I plan for a retro style two tone to emulate the 1974 era. No, I'm not a big fan of wrapped or stitched dashes. I have an NOS pad that I will dye to match.

Motor- I am still looking at the 8.1 with a 4l80 or 4l60. I love the 6.2s as well, but they are expensive right now. I have even considered a 7.4 Vortec as an option. The deciding factor will be what I find as a fair priced donor.

Color- I'm not a big fan of color changes unless you take a truck apart completely. In those case "most" of the truck will be apart, but not "all" of it. Consequently, I will stick with the factory red thats on it now. It will have a secondary color, but it will not be white like it is now.

Bed- I am looking at adding a wood floor. If I do, it will probably be stained to match the body color. The possibility of a tilt floor panel has been considered as well.

I have a gazillion other ideas but we will see if time and money allow those to happen.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote