View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #71
83GMCK2500

Re: "Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Lets see if I can break these down.

Suspension- I have given it lots of thought and the 14 bolt C20 suspension limits what aftermarket products I can use. I plan to go with a 89-91 10 bolt with 3.73 gears. Its not as HD as the 14 bolt but it will do everything I need it to and gives me an unlimited selection in wheel styles.

I will be working with RideTech again. Its possible we may update the early style 4 link, and E3 system. I will probably run 1/4" valves rather than the Big Red 3/8" I have used in the past.

Interior- I plan to run a stock styled interior. I am working with Mike Losh to design a seat bracket so his Buddy Bucket will fit a 73-87 floor. I havent decided what insert material I will use yet, but I plan for a retro style two tone to emulate the 1974 era. No, I'm not a big fan of wrapped or stitched dashes. I have an NOS pad that I will dye to match.

Motor- I am still looking at the 8.1 with a 4l80 or 4l60. I love the 6.2s as well, but they are expensive right now. I have even considered a 7.4 Vortec as an option. The deciding factor will be what I find as a fair priced donor.

Color- I'm not a big fan of color changes unless you take a truck apart completely. In those case "most" of the truck will be apart, but not "all" of it. Consequently, I will stick with the factory red thats on it now. It will have a secondary color, but it will not be white like it is now.

Bed- I am looking at adding a wood floor. If I do, it will probably be stained to match the body color. The possibility of a tilt floor panel has been considered as well.

I have a gazillion other ideas but we will see if time and money allow those to happen.
What is it about the C20 suspension that limits your suspension goals/plans? It seems like the market for 8-lug stuff has steadily been increasing (following lots of lowered C30 builds), granted that market still isn't where the 5-lug one is, but it is growing. I ask because a crew-short square is still a somewhat uncommon build, let alone an 8-lug one built to the extent you do.

I was just taking a stab when I asked about the buddy buckets! That is GREAT that you are working with Mike on adapting them to Jake. I'm excited to see what the interior turns out like.

The bed sounds classy, particularly the flooring stained to match body color. Would it serve any purpose for you to consider adding LED cargo lighting similar to the recently available factory option?

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote