View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 08:23 PM   #23
mdlackey

Re: 5 speed conversion with pics

Hey guys ...

Guess I'm the "guinea pig" ...

I did mount the master cylinder in front of the clutch pedal, instead of where the clutch rod penetrated the firewall. I removed the clutch pedal return spring, and used another bolt/spacer/nut setup to get the geometry close. TONS of leg effort to get about 1.5"-2" of pedal travel and hitting the end of the clutch travel ... nowhere close to the floorboard. See pics to see how it mounted up ... guess it was too easy to be the final setup. Moving the master cylinder higher on the firewall to get it closer to the pedals pivot point .. hence greater leverage and less leg effort will put it too close to the steering shaft, IMHO. Thoughts?

Was there a "clutch return spring" in the '90's NV3500 that made sure it pulled the clutch arm and throwout bearing off of the pressure plate? Noticed that the output shaft on the tranny is turning while in neutral, and stops when I depress the clutch. Would've been in the bellhousing assembly, if it were anywhere.

Currently, I have a single piece of 1/8" wall 1.5" square tubing that is holding the tranny in place. Have it drilled for the transmission mounting bolt. Will probably have another length of it welded to it for additional strength ... don't know if it is REALLY needed ... but just being cautious ... and will have 1/8" right angles welded to each end, then drilled so it can be mounted to the frame rails.

Anybody else have any updates and pics on their conversions?

Looking forward to hearing from all of you ...

Dave
Attached Images