View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
stich626
Account Suspended

faq thread, and truck question, edit??

hello.
On my 71 c-10 I was following the "lowering blocks 101, posted by tx firefighter, in the faq area..

and this is in the first post

"I needed a couple of extra inches lower in the back. I decided to use a set of lowering blocks, and since lots of folks have asked me lowering block questions before, I decided to photograph the process.

Here's how I did it for $24.80 and a few hours of work.

First, you need the supplies....

Take one of your stock U-bolts to a spring shop and have them make you a pair that are 2 inches longer. If yours are messed up beyond recognition, tell the spring guy you need a pair of 5/8 thread, 24 inch long U-bolts for a 3 inch axle tube. He'll know what to do.

My shop charged me $21.80 for a pair of them, and made them while I stood there and watched...

now it's a great thread..
but I wonder if there is a typo or it's "just my truck"
if typo I'd like to save someone else the pain of having useless u bolts made..

without looking at my u bolts , I just went with tx's u bolt size listed above.. because all his threads are well written and spot on..
while bolting my parts back together I got to the u bolts.. and well. um
my factory original u bolts are 3/4" and a tad wider than 3"
the 3" by 5/8's will not go through the shock mount holes the holes in the mounts are farther apart (center line of each hole in the mount =4"5/16th)
and the u bolts are 3/4" thick not 5/8"
now I don't know if maybe 66 back the axle tube is smaller.. but his thread, he tells of working on a burb. I'd think that would have at least as big u bolts as a 2rd c-10

not knocking his thread.. as it was a big help. but if it is infact a typo..
changing it might help others,, or I have one odd set up..

any info on this.. thanks..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote