View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Re: Bolt-on yoke TH400 to 4L80E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
If I'm not mistakin,,, isn't the nut of the bolt on yoke a one piece , crimped type self locking nut with the washer part of the nut?

I don't know the insides of the 4L80 but just a thought here,,, I don't think it should have required a makeshift press to pull the yoke in the output shaft should it???? I think I'd be looking for damage to the splines of the output shaft or the yoke.
No idea if that's the way it should be stock. My 4L80E is exactly like the TH400. There is a threaded hole in the output shaft of the trans. The threads were the same as the TH400. What your saying is that there should be a stud in there? Really?

I had to use a puller to get the yoke off the TH400, which I understand is pretty common. It wasn't tremendous force, just more than I could exert on the transmission laying loose on the floor pulling with my hands. And I had to press it on to the 4L80E with a threaded rod and a nut. Again, it didn't need tremendous force, and after it made it past the first set of internal seals, it slid on much easier. Once it was on far enough, I simply put the stock bolt back in, and seated it the rest of the way, It's not a slip yoke, so I expected it to be a little tight. What I didn't know about was that the o-ring -- and how it would certainly lead to a leak if it was cracked or missing. If I get a chance, I'll yank apart the tail of the TH400 and see if the o-ring is gone. As for the 4L80E, well, I have no idea and I'm not in a position to yank that tail apart now at this point. I might, however, remove the bolt and smear some silicone under the washer just in case.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote