View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #1
inrustwetrust

Ugly, the 1985 k5 coming back from the dead

Well, as all of these stories start, I was scrolling the online marketplaces one day when I found an ugly k5 that i fell in love with. Messaged the owners, offered them a trade for the 1992 SCSB 4x4 5 speed I had at the time, but was waiting on the title. By the time I got the title the truck was sold. Bummer.

Flash forward 2+ months later and i see this ugly blazer back on the marketplace, looking for trades only. So i talked to the guy, sent him tons of info about my 92, agreed on a trade + cash deal, and then I took my daily driver to go check out the truck 2 hours away. I get there and the guy seems to be hurting for money.

The transmission is slipping and has no reverse, theres rust everywhere, and the thing is just plain ugly. So I make him a ridiculous (think scrap price) cash offer (even though we had already agreed to trade + cash), and then run to the atm, come back and pay the man and get the title and keys. Came back 4 days later with my other truck loaded to the gills with parts to drive this pig 3 hours back to my shop.
And it didnt miss a beat. The trans held together just long enough to get home and test the 4wd

So this is pretty much where I started, the specs of the truck are as such:

- 85 k5, factory 305 says SPID
- PO claims it has a cam, theres alot of COMP stickers everywhere..
- quadrajet not working properly, at all
- 700r4
- NP208 tcase
- 10 bolt front
- 14 bolt 6 lug SF rear
- 3" body lift
- 17" gmt800 stocks with 33ish tires
- doors off of a late suburban (i think) with power mirrors and windows

Things to fix:
- front driveshaft, ujoints and slip yoke
- rear driveshaft, need to find correct sized bastard ujoint for the 14b SF
- rebuild trans, bad shifting, burnt fluid, and no reverse
- Top is chunked, not worth fixing.
- rear window is broken
- repair and rebuild carb
- figure out specs of the cam
- repair floppy tilt column
- obviously repair alot of rust

And then some fun budget modifications to make this thing fun off road. The goal is to have a winter driver and a rig I can take my dog to all the fun spots with the top off!

Pics are of the day i bought it, and getting it back to the shop

hope you all enjoy the ride!
Attached Images

inrustwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote