View Single Post
Old 11-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #19
Nomadicflyer

Re: 72 C20 Miss Olive

Hey, Ed! sounds like quite a process, your Caprice Wagon. Just got back from an Airstream extraction mission in Vegas. Got it moved from a friends house to a truck shop, dropped waaaaaay too much on a 502 crate engine/accessories, and now I'm back to work on the C20.

Check this out: I painted the insides of the doors, today. Did the epoxy primer yesterday. Ended up with some issues. I'm repainting the doors, I had paid a guy to paint them months ago, and didn't like the results. Don't like them even more, now. I had sanded down most of the paint, down to bare metal in many places. Painted the primer, and got a crazy elephant skin/dry lakebed cracking come up through the primer. sanded the panel back down, this time removing all the 'old' paint (which was supposed to be just 6 months old), and the primer went on fine.

Now I'm doing color. The epoxy looked good, I sanded down the overspray and made things super clean. The door I had problems with elephant skin turned out great... the other one ended up with these 'scratches' coming up through the color coat. Sanded down the spots that looked scratched, and even the primer underneath looks scratched~ again, coming up from the work the prior painter did a few months ago.

I gave the painter the materials to paint, it's all PPG Shopline. Or at least that's what I thought.... but now I'm wondering if he used something else, or didn't really sand the doors down to bare metal prior to painting. I'm really getting spanked on these doors! I am SO DONE messing with them! LOL!

Has anyone seen this, before? Is there an answer beyond sanding to metal and starting over? Why didn't my last issue come through the epoxy primer, but came through on the color coat? Each time I think I have this figured out... something bites me in the butt.
Attached Images

Nomadicflyer is offline   Reply With Quote