View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #16
J Knight

Re: Cutting coil springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by slam59 View Post
Hey Malo your truck sits exactly how I want my 74 to sit. Looks good. I told my friend thats how I wanna lower mine and with funds so tight right now, I dont have the cash for lower springs and spindles. He says they dont ride good with cut coils, but alot of others here say theirs ride just fine. You say yours rides real good huh? You say longer bolts , where are these bolts located and what do they go to? I have never done this and do not know.
This is the bolt you have to replace, the factory bolt is splined and pressed in like a lug stud and a longer replacement bolt is not. This is the way we did it before drop spindles were available. If you dont tack weld the bolt in you will have to use a back up wrench to get the shims tight(your alignment guy will hate you). Also going this route by cutting 2 or more rounds off of the stock springs, everytime you lift the truck off the ground the spring will move out of its "seat". Personally I do not recommend this type of drop.

If you want to go that low on a budget you can get spindles and a flip kit and an alignment for under $400 done right with only these parts, you dont have to buy the $500 plus kits with all the bells and whistles.
Attached Images

Last edited by J Knight; 04-23-2012 at 05:31 PM.
J Knight is offline   Reply With Quote