View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 12:41 AM   #98
SkinnyG

Re: SkinnyG's '61 Apache

Rear shock mounts kicked my butt. Repeatedly.

I'm not really sure why, but Oh My Gosh.

I finally got something figured out. I like the double-shear factory mount, which I had cut off and tentatively moved forward about 5". But because I want it to ride low, and I want the axle to bottom before the shock does, and because I want the shock to stay reasonably upright, and because I notched the frame 4", the mount went forward AND up.

Yes, these shocks are leaning back, but this is how the factory did it. In 63+ GM put the shocks ahead of the axle, angled inward at the top, and angled forward. There are many people who alter the 63+ bracketry to get more travel and less angle out of the shock mounts, as well companies that will sell you the same thing.No Limit Engineering sells brackets that essentially duplicate the 60-62 mount, and everyone who has installed the kit has loved the improved handling, so, I'll give keeping it a try.

I was all giggly that I was using shorter 73-87 4wd front shocks for rear shocks. Turns out they are the same as the 63-72 rear shocks anyway. Figures.

Once I had the rear shock mounts done, I started second-guessing myself. I have ride height set with the front crossmember 5" off the ground, and the frame at the back of the cab 6" off the ground. This puts the axle (with 2" blocks) about half an inch into where the frame used to be. This is not where my 5" drop springs are going to put the axle, so honestly, my springs will be too tall. Instead of cutting it all out again (there were four or five versions of shock mounts, each one kicking my bruised buttox in the same place), I'm going to leave it for a bit. Once I have the body back on and can see how it sits with actual springs in it, I'll decide if I leave it, run 6" drop springs, or do a 3" block. If I change the spring, the shock mount stays. If I do blocks, the shock mount has to come down.

Front end Friday:

I picked up another set of 18" Grand Cherokee wheels, this time for $50. Good for winters.

I also placed the S10 Blazer tank on the back of the frame, and it looks like it will work great, and I can still run a hidden hitch!
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate

Last edited by SkinnyG; 08-31-2019 at 12:46 AM.
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote