View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #32
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Re: The 283 Rebuild Begins

Tackled the removal of the clutch pedal assembly last night. Kind of a pain - but got through it.

Recap: The guy that took my truck back in February - for some unknown and illogical reason - took out my six and its T350 automatic and threw (literally) in a ‘283’ and a junky old 3-speed manual. I’ve now got all of that garbage removed and disposed of accordingly.

So anyway, I get under the dash and remove the clutch pedal’s return spring, go to the other side of the steering column ‘tower’ and see this bent and rolled "clasp" (for lack of a better word) on the end of the shaft that the pedal hangs from. No cross-bolt is holding it and only a bent nail is holding the connecting rod that runs through the firewall.

Not knowing any better and doing a quick eyeball of the factory assembly manual, I take a mungus screwdriver and pry the clasp off - after removing the nail that held the vertical rod, which let if fall to the driveway. I smacked the end of the spindle rod with a hammer and then drove it out with a punch.

Piece of cake.

Now here’s the odd part: The brake pedal didn’t come loose. In fact - I think because the truck’s got a power assisted brake unit - the pedal’s connect to it, instead of the stock location.

Is this the reality?