View Single Post
Old 06-21-2019, 05:44 PM   #144
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

With body parts out for work, I've been building the EFI fuel tank I plan to use. I looked online for something ready made, but wasn't inclined to pay the $$ they wanted for a 16 gallon tank. I really preferred something bigger, so I ended up with a 25 gallon EFI tank for an 87 Blazer. You can pick a new one up for around $100 and free shipping. I added an Aeromotive Stealth 340 in-tank pump, a Classic Instruments "floatless" fuel sending unit that will match the Dakota Digital gauges and a Spectra fuel pickup for the Blazer tank from Rock Auto. The rest I modified. Overall, I saved about $100 over a store bought unit, plus it has a lot more capacity and a higher rated pump.

The best way to fit the tank in the car and still have room for the battery required that I relocate the fuel inlet and change up the end of the stock filler tube. I used a little homemade tool to bead the end of a piece of 1-3/4" tubing and then welded it into the end of the stock filler tube. It will connect to the relocated inlet via a Gates rubber fuel hose.

The tank came with a depression that was the exact right spot for the fuel gauge sender. I fabricated a 1/8" cold rolled ring threaded for the brass screws included with the floatless sender. It fits inside the tank and is held in place with a couple of countersunk stainless rivets. If you squint real hard it almost looks factory. Finished up by blocking off the old filler neck and adding weather pack connectors for the sender and the pump.

When I get the body back, I'll get the tank mounted to the underside of the new floor and figure out the best way to incorporate the battery box. I plan to have access panels in the floor to service the battery and fuel system ...just in case. Learned my lesson with CRLS.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote