View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 06:02 PM   #149
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
"...Floatless Fuel Sender utilizes an internal pressure transducer to measure the amount of fuel in a tank."
I noticed that some of the older tube type (floatless) senders have four wires instead of two. I'm guessing they're the type that utilized the pressure transducer and required calibration. I'm not sure they're still on the market.

The one I bought from Classic Instruments has only two wires (ground and fuel gauge connection). It sounds like there's a component that moves up and down inside the tube when you flip it over. I hooked up an ohmmeter to it and it measured 10.3 ohms at one end, then flipped it upside down and it measured 183.9 ohms at the other end of the travel. The unit is advertised as a 10-180 ohm sender so the readings are within normal tolerances, IMO. So I'm thinking it uses some other approach that mimics a variable resistor. Classic Instruments doesn't actually call this "floatless" but refers to it simply as a "tube sender" which is probably more accurate. I'm betting the moving part inside the tube rises and falls with the fuel level but is less affected by fuel slosh. Just my guess. (I'm so far underwater on this build I have no desire to cut it open as a science project.)

I didn't want the conventional type sender with the float arm and variable resistor due to space constraints and erratic operation. I never did get the one on CRLS adjusted properly even though I followed the instructions as closely as possible. So I'm gonna give this a shot.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote