View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 11:23 PM   #30
clinebarger

Re: Tom's 4L60E build

Next up is the 2nd & 4th Accumulators, Spacer Plate, & Valve Body....

*I blocked the 4th Accumulator by driving a .250" check ball into the 4th Clutch feed hole in the case, If you leave the Accumulator piston in the case......The Lo/Reverse Clutch will no longer receive orificed lube while in 4th gear. So I leave the piston & pin out of the case & let Accumulator Oil feed the orificed lube circuit at all times.

*The 2nd Accumulator Piston, Springs, & Housing were in excellent shape & got reused with a new piston seal.

*This in a new OE GM spacer plate for a 2003 Silverado SS.....
2nd feed.....Left factory at .073"
3rd feed.......093"
3-4 Circuit....093"
4th feed........093"
BR (Band Release).....Left factory a .086"

*Basically installed most of a TransGo SK-4L60E shift kit.....
*Did not use the 2nd Accumulator Springs as they break.
*Did not use the 4th Accumulator Spring because it's blocked.
*Did not use the Pressure Regulator Spring because I use the Sonnax 10% over one, I DID use the PR Bumper Spring though.

*****Your Accumulator Valve was stuck HARD in it's Bushing, I had a like new one with the same (DX) code, Was this thing "Thumping" into 2nd before it started slipping??

This PIN (Arrow) can be removed & allows access to the Accumulator Valve & Bushing without dropping the Valve Body.
I used the recommended 24oz TG spring (For a DX Accumulator Bushing & a Vette Servo)
****After a minimum of 500 miles, If you find the 1-2 Shift a little soft for your liking......Swap the Accumulator Spring for the next heavier weight. I'll send all the extra Accumulator Springs with the trans.

****If the 1-2 Shift is too Firm for your liking.....Remove the Spring entirely.
IF it's still too firm......You'll need to source a YZ,C,CX code Accumulator Bushing & Valve, These are found in Camaro, Firebird, & Corvette 4L60E's.
A,AX,B,BX code bushings are found in 700R4 & 4L60 units & require a slight modification to work with the "Special Pin"
I'm confident you'll be happy with the 1-2 shift after the Band gets seated in, But without being able to test drive it myself.....It's definitely a variable!

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote