View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 07:45 AM   #12
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

The passenger door is good enough for now. It opens and closes, just needs vent glass. The yard offered a driver side door from a truck because he thought he had it around somewhere, but couldn't find it. The two he had on trucks were useless (latch cut out, or smashed in). I thought I found a good one in a pile. The outer skin looked OK, but it had been sitting in the grass for god knows how long and the bottom inside was gone and dented in on the inside (how does that happen?). I would have got it for free and could have then parted it out, but I have enough work to do.

A body shop near here has doors for $50.00. I have parts for sale on the parts board and sold some other things for about a $45 profit. I'll get a driver door soon. I want to get that and the hatch fixed and installed to close it up from the elements.

Rokcrln, I am not attempting to compare our builds, it's apples and oranges. I love what you do and you are showing how to build a really nice truck using your own abilities and saving money on the labor, etc. You do quality work and get quality work done for you (exhaust, alignment). Your truck will reflect on your future business.

My goals are way more modest here, mainly useable and safe, looks when the opportunity arises. Most of us don't have the disposable income to do what we really want to for our trucks. I have a great job that pays well, but I'm not a financial wizard for lifes daily expenses and am paying now for mistakes of the past (thank you MBNA, Wells Fargo Financial, Citibank Financial, etc. for your outstanding ability to suck in customers in need with low payments and high interest) Many of us have found great deals here and there, but not for the entire project.

If anyone following this build can see a need and has a means to fill that need, either in parts or ideas, please post or PM me. I am located in southern MN and travel all of that plus SW WI for my work territory. Iowa is an hour south of me, SD is 2 hours west. For a great deal, I'll drive. I have a company car (Dodge Magnum) with free gas and I can fit just about any part in it except the top and the hood, which I don't need. I even hauled the blazer bed side and hatch in it. Personally, I'm kind of surprised at the attention this has drawn so far. I hope I can make it work.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote