View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 09:28 AM   #9
frenchy51

Re: 1973 K5 with a fuel door??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1941 View Post
Yep but aren't very good. I'd look for for a original 1/4 out here in SoCal.
73-77 will work for what you need. '78 was first yr for the fuel door.
From sounds of it, you just need to skin it, not full 1/4 replacement
73-75 are maybe worst yrs. Made from recycled steel from Japan was even the sales pitch if I remember right. Dad traded his '70 CST Blazer in on a "new" '74. Thing was rusting by 77 here in SoCal.
Do a good look underneath and in wheel wells to see whats rotten.
Another member, Frenchy51, just got thru a resto of a '75. Might have some tips for you.
Thanks for the pitch Irish. Only advice I have is find the rust and fix it. I was lucky that mine was virtually "rust free" but I still had to take patch panels from a '79 donor I bought. I used it for some small patches of rockers, floors, etc. Not too hard to do if you have a wire welder and patience...If your panel is kind of put on OK I'd consider leaving it and trying to fix the cobby areas?
I'm not a totally original kind of guy. I put a 6.0 motor in mine and a few later model parts that I thought looked better than the stock '74 pieces. (mines a '74-not '75 BTW) I have lots of bits and pieces from Blazers-let me know what you need. Good luck. It will be a great father-son project! I know-I have 3 sons and all three drive vintage trucks that we all worked on.
1977 GMC HeavyHalf
several adopted orphans
frenchy51 is offline   Reply With Quote