View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: whats the best way to polish mag wheels?

EVERYONE has a way that seems to work for them. I have tried many of the products discussed above and found that the best way for me to get that "MIRROR" finish on my wheels, engine parts, door sills, and steering wheels was to use the Mothers "Aluminum" polish to start the process and then finish up with Mothers "Billet" polish as a finishing cream. The aluminum polish takes out the larger scratches and the billet polish makes the final luster like a mirror. I also use the "Micro-fiber" towels as polishing rags to get a good finsih without scratches from the towel showing up in the metal. They are relatively cheap when purchased at the Sam's club outlets.

I started using the billet stuff back when it was $50.00 for a 5 ounce jar and now it is around $11.95 for the stuff. Mothers finally released it on the open market.

I also use a metal conditioner after I polish the wheels to keep water and dirt from setting into the pores and making my work look bad. The stuff that I use now is marketed by the Wizards company and is called "Power Seal". A coating of this and let dry overnight and then wiped off like you would a wax coating will keep water from spotting the aluminum for a fair amount of time.

If I have some really bad scratches, I will sand with wet-n-dry paper starting with a 600 grit and working down to a 2500 grit paper---using WD-40 as a lubricant on the paper. Then I polish with a small powered buffing wheel, and a polishing compound that I got from Eastwood products. The finsih work is done with the Mother's stuff.

The mothers power ball and the liquid polish has it's limits on a fine finish, but does a good job of getting started. I have tried it more than once and finally went back to the hand work.

Last edited by piecesparts; 04-03-2009 at 04:50 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote