View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 12:08 AM   #9
454_72_4X4

Re: V-8 swap radiator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W View Post
I probly shouldn't admit this but i have never looked at the jtr manual. But i believe it would be the same.
As for the 4.3 rad i used one in my 85 blazer with a 11:1 460hp 406 sbc. It worked awesome, better than the rad i originally had built for it.
Heres a pic of the vette rad in the forward position with the taurus fan as the truck was going together. This was using the trans dapt 4689 mounts and hedman longtubes.
Not reading the JTR manual isn't anything to be ashamed of. Believe me, they're not "all" they think they are. Don't get me wrong, they do have some good info in there, but some info is totally off the wall.

Your 11:1 406 was probably not a DD though right?
My 87 was my DD. 22mpg at its best with a 328!

Sittin at stoplights every block for what seems like miles in 100+ degree weather is when the temp on my 87 would raise to an uncomfortable level. It climbed as high as 240 a couple times. (Anything above 200 I don't like)
One other time it got "warm" was while cruising through Bear Country USA in SD. The wife, me, and an 80lb Rottweiler in the cab, (with the windows up), putting through a croud of black bears! Hahaha
I want AC next time! LOL

I won't be using kit motor mounts. Seems like all of them, (that I've seen anyway), wanna sit the motor way high and to far forward. And on top of that most of 'em wanna use 2.8 mounts!
I used normal ol clamshell small block mounts and redrilled the holes in the clamshells to lower the motor as much as possible. I still had room under the oil pan, used a HD starter, and 168 tooth flywheel. (Which, BTW, JTR says can't be done). The waterpump shaft was almost dead center in the radiator.

After driving it a few years, I tried a set of Hedman shorty headers. The ones that wrap around the steering shaft. My motor sat way to low and to far back for the Hedmans to even come close to workin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead Lon View Post
The Vette rad is the one refered to in the JTR book. The last time I looked up the price it ran about $195.00. It is supposed to be a bolt in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W View Post
Its a little shorter height wise than a 4.3 rad. Makes it fit forward in the rad support alot easier.

This time I'm shootin for an AC truck so the radiator will have to be in the stock location. Or real close to it. I might be able to "fudge" it forward a little though.
98 Sonoma (TPI outa the Trans Am)
03 Yamaha 660 Raptor
03/04 660 Raptor
07 700 Raptor
85 Honda Odyssey
454_72_4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote