View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #94
CC69Rat

Re: Project Grande Slam: Coley's Hot Rod Shop

Question -- I have some parts money and about to start moving along a little.

Considerations -- I am going to convert it over to wood bed. The bed in the truck is pretty rough really. It has some rust up near the bottom edge of the front panel and it is slightly dented. I am thinking I will replace the front panel. The floor is pretty rough around the edges and the back stake pockets. There is a golf ball size rust thru spot in the front floor area near the bed and in the back near the tailgate. Both seem to be a common area for rust. I have already purchased a good set of inner tubs for it (from Crazy Ray in CA) The ones in it now are a little rough around the bottom edges. They get replaced with good GM ones.

At some point it looks like someone tried a cheap bedliner in the truck. It is a metallic silver. I am not sure if they put the bedliner in and then painted over it? .. but it is peeling off now. Looks worse than it really is .. but it bugs me. It looks like it has rubberized caulking in the front to give the bedliner something to bond to (?) But it looks pretty bad. My guess it has been there for 10+yrs or more.

Here's what I'm thinking. If I pull the bed off and Order / put the new front panel, cross sills and wood (of course) in it first thing, that means the bed is out of the way. I can pressure wash the frame rails and paint / detail the frame while it's off. The floor will be easier to replace while the bed's off too

Once the bed goes back on, as I collect some more parts money .. I do the suspension, wheels / tires.

Should I do the bed and detail the frame rails first, or drop it now and put all my new parts on the old dirty frame?

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote