View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #2
LH Lead-Foot

Re: Wrapping a console?

I have seen some websites that sell period correct material for cars, but very little for trucks on this era.
Question; Are you wrapping a console or seats, or both.

I you need new seat covers for a bench seat, it is a little expensive to have it done.
But if you have some seat time in front of sewing machine, the pattern is the hardest as you must pay close attention to the exact measurements, plus a "Margin" for sewing two pieces together, adding listing wire for hog rings and other important stitching or attachment.
May I suggest a youtube search of "sail rite" as they did a bench seat from a 60's something Ford truck bench. Using the majority of the OEM material for making a new pattern, they go step by step.
Multiple panels must be exact width and length and cut this way as well, or it won't look right of line-up with seat back to bottom cushion.

If you are doing a console, either out of another vehicle, store bought or custom made, it comes down to the material it's make of if you are wrapping it.
Generally, cleaning with thinner / acetone, then scuffing it, applying glue to both sided using "Weld Wood" contact cement works best, unless you want the "Weld Wood Landau Top and Trim HHR" sprayable which is thinned down version of the previous. If you want to get a spray can of 3M-90, it works, but will not handle interior heat of a vehicle in the summer.

More popular, is CPVC board sold at Home Depot and others. It is worked like wood, yet impervious to water. When heated gently, can be bend to create curves, router to round over sharp edges, angled where it meets the floor and drilled and screwed from side to side, with planing of what you want. Most all have a wood-grain pattern on one side, while smooth on the other.

Whether vinyl or leather, it can be glued like above, but stapled on the back side as well. Your imagination is the limit. Just un-sure of what advice you want.

Lots of good info on youtube for sewing yourself, starting with a silent master called Cesar Cechaflo who wraps dashes, knobs, door panels, designs, pattern help for seats and types of stitches for steering wheels. The sky is the limit.

Best of luck!