View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #44
torchlight

Re: Marvin (1953 3100)

I think it is time for another update. Work continues slowly but surely! These pictures are from two different trips:

Here's a look at the IFS from Scott's Hot Rods getting mocked in. I could not be happier with the quality of this IFS. Scott's makes an amazing IFS.

Delivery truck showed up that day with a couple fun parts. Here's the 4L65E transmission from Finish Line Transmissions:

And, a new tilt column from Ididit! Also got a new radiator from US Radiator, but it is just gonna sit in the box for now, so no picture yet.

A little bit later. The cab is back off the frame and is knee deep in all the metal repair it needs. Brake rotors are on, and motor & transmission mounts are installed. Pardon the small wheels and tires - they are just on for the sake of rolling the frame around the shop. Wheels are too small for the brake calipers to be mounted at the moment!

You can see the new transmission crossmember. Bolt-in instead of weld-in in case the transmission ever needs to be dropped without taking the motor out.

Again, I just love the way the Scott's IFS looks. We aren't going to put the coilovers on until later, no need to risk scratches now (they are polished).

Closeup of the motor mount. It is just tacked into place right now. The guys at the shop don't want to do any finish welding until right before paint, in case they need to move/adjust anything later. I think that's a good approach.

I love this detail they put in, making the shape of the motor mount support match the shape of the IFS crossmember. Pretty cool idea.

Another look at the transmission crossmember. You can see they tried to make the shape of this crossmember mimic the shape of the shock-mount crossmember from the rear suspension. I feel very blessed to be able to have these guys working on Marvin.

More pictures next time!
torchlight is offline   Reply With Quote