View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015, 04:58 AM   #13
ibrown50

Re: Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England

Prepping the engine bay before paint turned out to be "loads of fun". There was about a 1/4" of crud and mank (that's a technical term) coating the inner fenders and firewall. I used a combination of kerosene and diesel (sprayed on) and various scrapers to remove it. (I wish I'd took pictures) I was left with a very hard "stippled" coating on the inner fenders, I don't know if this is factory but it would budge, not even with laquer thinners, so I left it on.

Once all the crud had been scraped off I washed the inner fenders with a rag soaked in gasoline. This was followed by a good sanding. I used a Mipa self etching primer which is also a filler/surfacer, it has great adhesion, leaves a nice smooth surface and can be painted over without additional prep. I used my touch-up gun as it's easier to use in confined spaces and being HVLP you get very little overspray.
Name:  Paint.jpg
Views: 2273
Size:  49.5 KB

The paint code for my truck is 528 which is fawn.
I painted the inside of the cab at the same time (it was gold ) which is why the tag is not attached. Name:  Paint tag.jpg
Views: 2257
Size:  68.5 KB

Like many old trucks mine has been painted in the past, so there's no guarantee it's still the correct colour. I removed the panel below the windshield and took it to my local paint suppliers and they matched it to a BS colour

No not that kind of BS, a British Standard colour, BS 08C31. The match is very good. It ended up taking 2 weekends, although most of that was prep, but I was pleased with the results, especially when compared to the earlier pictures in this thread.

Name:  Engine bay 1.jpg
Views: 2236
Size:  39.7 KB
Name:  Engine bay 2.jpg
Views: 2241
Size:  36.1 KB
Name:  Engine bay.jpg
Views: 2235
Size:  41.4 KB
ibrown50 is offline   Reply With Quote