View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 10:58 PM   #219
AKC

Re: Sooo, I finally got me an old truck - AKC's 1968 C30

I went to NAPA to pick up some instrument bulb holders I had ordered. The ones in the truck were falling apart when I moved them. While I was there, I thought I'd replace the battery hold-down rope. Should've left it alone.

Not really, it was a problem that needed to be found. After determining that the j-bolts and cross piece I got weren't going to work, I returned them and decided to replace the battery cables while I was there. Waiting for the motor to cool down, I went ahead and replaced the negative cable. Easy enough.

Measured for the positive cable, got the new one and realized I didn't have what I needed to terminate the power line coming off the lug. No problem, I'll take it home and do it later.

Mind you, the truck has been starting fine, including all morning with a few stops. I hop inside, turn the key. Click. Great.

Long story shortened, the collet-style lug on the old positive cable had lost it's grip on the cable. I got good enough contact to get the truck started and went home.

Replaced the positive cable, all is good now.

And yes, I picked up an Optima 34R and at least it's strapped down with some reasonably heavy zip-ties...