View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #50
jocko

Re: Complete T5 swap thread - one way to skin the cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 View Post
Question on output shaft. I know a f@@d guy who shortened the output shaft by 1/2", didn't use a spacer.

Could I shorten the output shaft by 1/2", and not bother with the spacer?
Assume you're referring to shortening the trans input shaft. I looked at that, but what you will see is that the tip of the input shaft is the turned down section that inserts into the pilot bushing. If you simply chop 1/2" off the end, you are not really left with sufficient engagement into the pilot bushing. Some folks HAVE done this, but I would not. You also have to consider the engagement of the i/p shaft splines with the clutch. I built a cardboard mock-up in 2D to examine all the clearances and what was gonna hit what and when - main reason to do this is that the Astro Van 11" clutch and pressure plate have a slightly different stacking height than the stock 3-speed, so I was concerned about proper amount to cut off the release bearing collar, clearance between the fat stack of new clutch/pressure plate and the thickness of the release bearing (which, if purchased in the Astro Van clutch kit, all works out because it is thinner than the stock 3-speed's release bearing, this is why it all works out).

Last edited by jocko; 07-06-2012 at 12:28 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote