View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 10:53 PM   #15
Fbks_Cruiser

Re: Started working on the drip rails today....Finished!

Finished it up this weekend. Sorry I forgot to take pictures after I put in the seam sealer but before paint. Here’s what I did:
1) removed old sealer by scraping with old screw driver (with occasional help from hammer) and a broken off hack saw blade to get in the tight spaces then wire wheeled.
2) liberally applied rust mort ( phosphoric acid) to areas that had surface rust and tried to get it to run into the spaces between layers over the A pillars.
3) thoroughly cleaned then painted with epoxy primer using a foam brush to work the paint into any crevices.
4)Applied seam sealer I showed in previous post in this thread. It is okay, has about a 25 minute working time. But it does not self level. I had to tool it quite a bit using paint reducer to allow a bit of smoothing. End result looks similar to a factory tooled sealer. If I had to do it again I would use a 2k self leveler.
5) shot 2 coats of primer sealer. I had to go out of town for a while so I sanded between coats of sealer.
6) 2 coats 521 white.

Can’t see the seam sealer very well in the photos since it is all white with very little contrast. But the newly painted roof sure makes me want to do the rest of the truck!

After paint cures a bit more, I need to reseal the windshield gasket, reinstall the clearance light and door/ window weather strip.
Attached Images

Matt

Last edited by Fbks_Cruiser; 08-17-2020 at 11:21 PM.
Fbks_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote