View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 04:38 PM   #17
Fbks_Cruiser

Re: Started working on the drip rails today....finished

I did pull back the weather strip around the windshield and inspect it. The only place I had any rust was along the upper edge a few inches in from each corner (where there is also a seam). I cleaned and rust-morted those areas just like up top. I also stuffed parachute cord (about 3/16 in diam) under the weather strip to get it away from the body so that I could prep there and get a little paint under the weather strip. (you can still see the tails sticking out from the bottom of the windshield). It was too tight along the back glass so rather than fight it I just masked the weather strip in place.

As for the rest of the roof I had a screw hole to weld shut (as well as some holes in the upper window frame of the doors from past life mirrors) and several scratches in the paint that I sanded out by hand. (Only because I was out of sandpaper for the DA).

This was my first time painting a vehicle or using a HVLP gun. Overall it is not too bad, I would call it a 5 footer. If someday in the future I really wanted to do it up right I would take all apart, pull all the glass etc and really make it nice before painting. But, I want to drive the truck - not have it in pieces all over the garage for a year or two. This was really about learning and stopping any potential future rust problems from having bad drip rail sealant.

Matt
Fbks_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote