View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: My daily driver/beater : How I turned lemons in lemonade

About that time, I was trying to figure out what to do about shortening my driveshaft. Again, it was Shane to the rescue with a text message picture and the words "bring 10 dollars to my house".

I had to run conversion u joints front and rear since the driveshaft was from an 87 model and my earlier truck uses different ones (I'm not saavy on the series of u joint part numbering. One is bigger than the other. These conversion u joints allow you to connect the two). The conversion joints are stocking item at any parts store for 10 dollars each or so. No real big deal since I'd do new u joints regardless when putting it together.

So now I had a short bed truck but no engine. Years ago I had parted out an old truck with what sounded like a decent 350 in it. I had saved the engine hoping for a good home for it someday.

New mounts when I installed the engine. They're 7 bucks each.

Repair broken off studs in old manifolds. That's penetrant on the manifolds from the work that's making it look shiny like that.

Resealed the power steering box. I wrote an FAQ article about this. It's in the Suspension section. Helpful if you have a leaky box and would rather invest 15 dollars worth of seals and some labor instead of just replacing it.

Before installing the engine, I tuned up the transmission with a shift kit and all new seals. I won't own a truck that leaks. Random pictures of the process, showing part numbers for reference. Don't think I'm blowing the budget like a Rockafeller here either. These seals and such are just a couple of bucks each from Rockauto. Minus the shift kit, you could do the job for like 30 dollars.