View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Ignition switch question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper truck View Post
I have recently been having some problems with starting my truck. It is dead as in no clicking or other sound when I turn the key. I have cleaned the terminals on the battery and the battery is charged. I believe I have tracked it down to the ignition switch as I reached under and wiggled the wires on the back of the switch and it then started right up.

I was able to get the ignition out of the bezel (thank you for previous posts), but I cannot detatch the plastic connector from the switch. It looks as it if it should slide apart when pressing in the two tabs, but it is still tight. I don't want to break anything pulling it apart as I can look at how it should go back together when reassembling.

So I have a few questions.

1) How do I pull those two parts apart?
2) Is this a common problem with ignition switches?
3) Should I replace the ignition switch and the plastic connector where the wires plug in?

Thanks for any advice.

Some of them can be very hard to get apart. You are correct in your thinking on pushing in the tabs and pulling it apart. I have used a small angled pick to get under the connector and pry up on it. Just work your way around it.

If the connector has been hot and is melted where the wires plug into the switch that will make it worse.

No need to replace the connector unless it shows obvious signs of a problem when you get it off.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote