View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 02:26 AM   #5
EVRLET

Re: 99-06 Coilovers and 4-Link Kit

That’s a lot of questions to answer. I’ll just give my thoughts. Here on the west coast, these NBS and NNBS trucks, and even the earlier OBS trucks roll on 22, 24, 26 tucked wheels. We want the tucked look. The wheel openings are big and looks good filled up.

Even though there are SS trucks with 6.0 motors, nobody is really doing all out suspension mods to accommodate the performance mods. Honestly, I can’t see people converting leafs to 4 link on these trucks.

Look at my truck. It has a 5/10 drop. The only real mod was adding an under bed notch to prevent bottoming out with this much drop. It still bottomed out and so now it’s at a 9” drop. But the cost to do this was minimal and I think the ride is smooth and not harsh at all. I’m riding on 22s but could fit 24s. I had to tub the front wheel wells to get the 5” drop and roll on 22s and still get full turn.

I’ve done 4 link conversions on C10s. However, on my 1997 Silverado and 2001 Silverado, I didn’t even give an ounce of thought to a 4 link conversion. The ride comfort with leafs on my 97 and 01 are smooth compared to older trucks with leafs.

To give you an idea on what people are really doing on the west coast with this year group trucks and others, go to California Truck Invasion Instagram page.

https://www.instagram.com/california...nvasion/?hl=en

I went to the last “show” earlier in the year in San Bernardino. There must have been over 200 trucks. What blows my mind is the untapped market of these Chevy trucks and the look they’re going after. Unfortunately, suspension conversions, aside from bags, isn’t what people are doing.

To answer some of your questions:

Spindle brand is important to me. Chinese no name brands will never be used on my trucks. My 97 has Belltech and the 01 has McGaughy.

Front springs brands, not a big deal.

Rear flip kit components and brands, not a big deal. For the 99-06, I was particular about the under bed notch. Majority are designed with square tubing and fill panels...total junk. I’m not going to cut my frame and add junk notches. I bought the notch from Reklez Suspension Works in Houston. Best under bed notches I have seen for the 99-06.

I do all my own installs.

Summit Racing gets my business.

Funny because here in Vegas, there isn’t a dedicated shop turning out custom sport trucks. When I bought my 97 new, there was a shop in Vegas called Total FX and they were doing all the sport truck mods that were popular back then. Now, nothing. I do side jobs for people at my house because there really isn’t a place in Vegas doing these sport truck mods.

I would be willing to switch over to a 4 link to feel the difference. But it’s one of those things where I feel the leafs are fine and the ride comfort is great, so I’m not expecting a dramatic difference.

I don’t think the market is ripe for the 4 link coilover kit. The majority is content with simple spindle/spring and flip kits. Those that do go all out get bag setups. Also the real show winners and crowd pleasers are rolling on 15” wide rims to showcase the deep dish. I can see maybe 4 link for that, but most still retain the leafs.

Hope that helps...
Attached Images

Last edited by EVRLET; 07-27-2018 at 02:49 AM.
EVRLET is offline   Reply With Quote