View Single Post
Old 03-29-2023, 11:54 AM   #970
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Workirng Man's Burbon

In response to CG's jonesing for updates here's a little project I started over the weekend. I have talked with LockDoc and he has agreed to set me up with a correct early round ignition key lock and have it keyed to match the doors, and to rebuild my existing gate and hatch lock. The rear lock has been getting awful finicky over the winter so I jumped when Doc posted his ad for ignition locks.

First thing is unlock the lock and remove the key, then remove the cover plate on the gate and after cleaning the area, mark the lock mounting plate's position. (Photo #1 with the hard to see silver line by red arrow) This will save you time later as the plate has a fair amount of play in the mounting holes. This play was designed into the mount to allow adjustment of the gate latches. By moving the plate side to side and up and down the latches can be adjusted for smooth operation.

Once the location is marked remove the rod connected to the latch as shown in photo #2. You only have to remove this rod the other one can stay connected. Remove two screws to free the plate. Once the plate is loose push the hatch lever up as indicated by arrow (Circled in photo #3) and wiggle the plate past the lever and out of the gate.

Once the plate is in the open remove the two screws circled in photo four and the lock is out.

You may have noticed different gates from the photos. Before tearing into the WMB's gate I did a practice run on a spare gate I have. There I discovered a possible problem some folks may encounter. My spare gate has had a rough life and the interior sheet metal has been pushed in a fair amount. Not unlike a pick-up tailgate that has seen lots of rough use. The problem is that the surface that the lock mounting plate is screwed to was pushed down and jammed in place. The latch plate got caught in the area, indicated with the purple circle, down inside the hatch in the area shown with the purple arrow. Once I pried the lock plate loose the whole sheet metal interior piece snapped down about 1/8 inch. This made it impossible to reinstall the lock back in the gate. To get it back together I will have to grind clearance either on the gate or the lock mounting plate.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 03-29-2023 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Pictures in wrong order.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote