View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #65
burnitg

Re: Project Screamer - '72 GMC K2500 + DD 4-53T

A cross member for the NP-205.

I have completed the cross member for the NP-205.

Here's the transfer case mocked into position:

Name:  NP-205 Mock Up.jpg
Views: 2283
Size:  70.1 KB

I made several versions of the cross supports in cardboard. I'm a big fan of making templates. Cardboard is much cheaper and easier to cut than 1/4" steel plate.

Name:  NP-205 Cardboard Templates.jpg
Views: 2240
Size:  81.6 KB

Here's the completed cross member. The cross supports and braces are 1/4" plate. The diaphragms on the top are 12 ga sheet metal.

Name:  Completed Crossmember - 1.jpg
Views: 2454
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:  Completed Crossmember - 2.jpg
Views: 4068
Size:  69.7 KB

The front output is lower than I would like. I thought about clocking it up; but, I am afraid that clocking it up would cause lubrication problems and I am sure that it would interfere with the 4" exhaust that I have planned.

Name:  NP-205 Front Output.jpg
Views: 2375
Size:  67.4 KB

I took a look at the divorced transfer case for my 1959 Ford F-100. It hangs down much lower to the point that the front drive shaft is nearly horizontal. That gave me some encouragement. I've had that truck over stumps and rocks all around our ranch without any problems. This GMC won't be going off road; but, one never knows...

At any rate, it is what it is. Now I will start work on a skid plate...

I have been looking for a 4" universal exhaust kit. I was hoping that someone would make a kit with a number of mandrel bends like the smaller diameter ones that are made by all the major aftermarket manufacturers for hot rods. So far no luck. What have you done for your exhaust?

BTW - It's a good thing I got the plow fixed. We got 2 feet of snow about 3 days after I completed the repair.
burnitg is offline   Reply With Quote