View Single Post
Old 08-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #16
SCOTI

Re: Spindle Tie Rod End Inserts

This morning I stared @ things & scrutinized clearances further.

I started thinking about everything last night (you know, one more thing to help keep me from sleeping). I thought I really need to test a wheel on there for clearance validations & cycle the arms through the travel before spending any additional money or time on stuff.

The wheel clears (15x6; factory 3.625" BS). I don't feel a 15" w/any additional BS would though. The joint housing on the 1-ton/4wd TRE is larger vs. the correct TRE. Larger diameter wheels would be better/ok as well.

I cycled it through travel & while it cleared, it's very close on compression (@ ~3"). This is also hard to emulate because I need the adapter so the inner/outer threaded portions are 100% aligned. For the test, I simply raised the suspension & re-aligned the threaded portion of each end. What I felt is the issue is the seal/boot for the TRE gets pinched & it's not very tall. So over the course of driving conditions, the boot would see abuse & fail.

I'm going to play around w/things more after work.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote