Thread: Custom grilles
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2023, 06:58 PM   #3
notsolo

Re: Custom grilles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72malibu View Post
Figured I'd update my progress so far in case anybody is trying to do something similar. See photos of updated design and the factory speaker setup below.

I received the new kick panels from USA1 Industries. They are dyed in the 73-74 dark saddle color that matches the 75 Gentleman Jim interior.

I needed to resize my original design for the grilles somewhat. I'm going with a 6-7/8" diameter. That's right where the radius of the kick panels stops. I shortened the air holes so that you won't see the kick panel behind the grill, just the black speaker cone.

The 6" pin cushion 8-10 ohm speakers from Turnswitch/SMElectro-Tech are a perfect fit - the frame is a little under 7" diameter and the cone is a perfect fit to the opening of the kick panels. I will be mounting the speaker to the back of the kick panel and the grill on top. I think I'm going to use 8-32 or M4 countersunk screws/nuts instead of standoff studs to hold everything together.
Nice clean look, any clearance issues on the parking brake. Driver side on my 72 has about 1/4" from the speaker grille. Not the same shape I know or anything just a heads-up.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote