View Single Post
Old 07-17-2021, 07:05 PM   #10
Nick_R_23

Re: Low mileage 1987 Chevy 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton - Undoing the hacks!

Wheel update! The next few weekends I will be having a temporary period where I have to finish up some training, so I won’t be able to get to the truck too much. However, I threw on the H2 wheels and Chevy center caps, and they look great!

Started off on the front, these wheels fit perfectly on the hubcentric axles. The conversion lug nuts can be seen here.

Passenger side

In order to get the newer Chevy center caps to seat correctly on the H2 wheels, the standoffs (4 on each cap) need to be cut off flush with the ring of the cap. A small Dremel cutoff wheel makes quick work.

Good fit on the rear!

The front caps are a little more difficult. Aside from removing the standoffs, I need to make clearance for the front axle’s hub to protrude through. The easiest way to do this is to punch a hole from the rear with a punch or screwdriver, and break out the emblem. From there, it is easy to pry off the emblem in pieces.

Center punch the middle of the cap, as there is a small standoff from the injection molding process that will force your drill bit to walk otherwise. Using a 3-1/2” hole saw, cut the center out of the cap. The hole saw should fit perfectly inside the “step”. After the center is removed, deburr the inside of the lip with a utility knife.

And this is how they look installed!

All four wheels and caps mounted on the truck. If it appears to sit taller, that’s because it does! Stock H2 tires are 35” tall. While it does look beastly, I will likely be running a 265/70R17 tire, which measures just short of 32” tall, and should be comparable to the factory tire height and prevent the need to change speedometer gearing.

Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote