View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 06:57 PM   #9
SCOTI

Re: EFi or carb swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris989 View Post
It is a gm crate tbi with a small lunati cam. the motor is out and at the machine shop because it ate the thrust bearing at 20,000 miles.

It ran fine before but i was thinking while it is out and tore down i might put a roller cam in it and possibly upgrade the heads. the motor lives under 4,000 rpm. mostly under 3000.

it is a 89 v2500 burb, 5.7, 4l80, 456 gears, 34 tires. mostly for towing, camping, running around town.

Chris
IDK..... Vortec heads are top choice for a torque motor which is what you need. If anything, the Hyd roller option w/some better numbers vs. OE would only help. The current standard of people saying "Swap an LS into it" makes sense when starting w/NO or a broken drivetrain & only if/when you have extra time + money (especially when it's not a project). If everything else is relatively fresh there's nothing wrong w/making what you currently have work. With only 12K miles & you're already tweaking on it for an issue, I'd say fix what was broke & go from there.

As for the original question of aftermarket EFI/TBI, the more affordable TBI based units are easier to adapt to existing OE set-ups & offer easier tuning vs. OE TBI but I just wouldn't trust an ECM that's sitting on top of a hot intake to live a long life & integrating to the OE stuff (or eliminating what isn't needed) is going to require tedious work in your electronics heavy burb. I know guys that run the Fi-Tech TBI w/o issue (one on a older C10 w/a sbc/383/roller-cammed weekend warrior; the other on a TT'd SBF 32 weekend warrior). *The Holly Sniper is a similar set-up*

A separate ECM mounted on a fender-well or in the PASS compartment would be my choice which means going up the price scale for a set-up (still TBI but w/a remote ECM). Those would possibly be easier to integrate w/your Burbs existing electronics (speedo, gauges, etc).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote