View Single Post
Old 01-06-2023, 08:37 PM   #13
dmjlambert

Re: 72 C20 factory air conditioning restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540ChevyC20 View Post
Thanks Jason! That certainly solves the mystery, it looks like that's exactly what was done. The evaporator still looks in remarkably good condition so I think I'll just re-use it. I believe the next step will be to contact Old Air and see what compressor and ancillaries they recommend to run with that setup.

I'd also like to either freshen up or replace the blower/evaporator box as it's rusty on the back and the diverter flap rubber seal has perished. Has anyone had experience with doing this, or working with vendors that do this? I see Original Air does offer a rebuild service.
I recommend doing it yourself. I had Original Air do the box restore and in my opinion it was an incomplete job, so I had to take it apart and do the second half of the job myself. They did a good job making the outside look good and cleaning it up, but they were not interested in the door or rubber or patching holes in metal. Here are details of my experience with it: https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=790246

Treat the rubber tube that goes between the evaporator box and blower motor with care and don't lose it. It is not reproduced and as far as I know would be somewhat difficult to fabricate. If it has any splits you can fix with superglue and spread some black RTV on top of the superglued crack.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 01-06-2023 at 09:52 PM.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote