View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #1
Neatbeard

Help please - 66 C10, Inline 6, manual 3 on tree - Starting issues

Hi guys i'm sorry if this has been covered before, i've searched various threads but to no luck so far.

Engine: 250 Hi Torque fitted with HEI

Transmission: 3 speed manual

New starter and solenoid fitted

Back story - My '66 had a tempremental starting issue, sometimes it was fine and fired up great, other times the starter would seem to slow down or bind. I used to tap the solenoid with a pin hammer and it used to then fire up fine. I lived it with it like this for a while (too busy with work and life things) but the other day it just wouldn't start at all. A friend had a brand new starter n solenoid combo that he traded me, I fitted it and it worked great, started up with no issues at all.

I went to a car show last weekend and it started up twice fine, ran it for about 30 mins down the road to meet friends. Stopped and turned it off for 10/15 mins, went to start and nothing. I got dash lights on but nothing from the starter/solenoid not even the solenoid clicking. Got a short tow to bump it and it fired fine. Drove another 30 mins and parked at show. Went to come home and it didn't want to start first time, turned key again and it fired second time. Stopped at a friends for an hour or so on way home. Got in to come home and it started second turn of key again. I was thinking it was a heat sink issue but it's is an inline 6 with the starter on the opposite side to the headers.

Anyway ive ruled out heat sink as I got in last night when it was cold and same thing, dash lights on and then nothing not even the solenoid click.

I'm rubbish when it comes to electrics but i've been reading on other threads about what it could be and have seen horn relay mentioned.... My aftermarket steering wheel did work loose on the way to the car show and made my horn go off until I pulled the connections off the horn push and the relay - could this be a good place to start?

Im thinking the following could be dodgy:

Starter switch
Wiring from switch to starter relay
Wiring from relay to starter

Sorry for the long winded post but I wanted to give as much info as possible to help get this diagnosed as its doing my head and I want to use the truck and have fun it again and not worry about if its going to start.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tattooed pinstriper and graphic designer with an awesome award winning beard! Check me out at http://www.vontash.co.uk
Neatbeard is offline   Reply With Quote