View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #61
slikside

Re: Mostly stock vs. significant mods; Daily Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucks68 View Post
I think that due to your lack of mechanical knowledge you would do yourself a great service to keep the truck very near to stock. With that said, what is very near to stock? In my opinion it is anything that can be easily unbolted and returned to the factory configuration. A 350 "crate" engine with an Edelbrock carb and MSD ignition mated to a 700r4 transmission (overdrive) sending power to a 3.42 posi rear end would be a mild/dependable configuration that would be fun to drive. I too like a dropped truck but if you really want to drive it with out creating issues or cutting on your frame I'd stick with a 2/4 or 3/5 drop at most. Good quality shocks are a BIG must too, Ride Tech Q-Series shocks are killer and offer a option to the "bouncy" KYBs that most drop kits come with. I would keep the body and interior as close to factory as possible, sort of pay homage to your Pop and Grand-Pop. Oh, and don't forget BRAKES, don't give it more GO without giving it more WHOA! You've got a great truck with family history to start with, I hope you start a build thread so we can watch as you progress! HAVE FUN!!

After having read only the first page, I totally agree with Buck here.

Then, if you find you wished you had built a custom, just get ANOTHER truck and do it! Budget aside, of course!