View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #68
66Submarine

Re: 4bt cummins swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckeez View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
there are -a - mixed up dude (s) here
I don't think you know just how true that is...

Quote:
torque is what gets a truck going from a start, (and also is what delights ricky racers in their 5/0 mustangs with a stick) ,
NOT HP.
hp is ONLY a measurement of what an engine can do up above 2500 rpm, and dosent factor in while getting up there.
I think that is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Really? HP = torque x RPM / 5252. The idea of it somehow not being able to be used as a measurement under 2,500RPM is absolutely beyond ridiculous. It's really basic math that anyone with three functioning brain cells can understand very well. But don't listen to me, just google it for yourself.

I guess parroting the same stupid BS and attacking anything remotely resembling thought is fun though, right?

Low-end power is what actually moves the Mustang you mention, and is why a lot of people cannot seem to grasp this basic concept.

Twice the torque @ 1,000RPM=twice the HP @ 1,000RPM.

You guys are all confusing this with peak HP numbers and peak TQ numbers (etc). Torque is only a measurement of force, not anything more or less, and without motion/HP you go nowhere.

Again, let me make another example. I will put a 2:1 reduction drive between my lame 250 six and the trans tomorrow, instantly giving me 440ftlbs at the new "crank". Will it pull harder in high gear? You bet! But wait...now I need to replace my 4.10 gears with 2.05's. End result? Same damn thing (forgetting about the loss from the reduction gears).

The rest of the driveline needs to be matched with whatever engine you use. DZ302 with 2.56 rear gears and a PG with a tight converter? It's going to suck at getting itself rolling. You'll also be disappointed if you take your 4BT with 5.13's to Bonneville. This isn't hard to figure out.

Anyway, I'm done here. Even I have much better things to do with my time than try to teach basic math to people so hard-headed that they refuse to even consider it. You win, guys. Go take a victory lap...