View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #51
SCOTI

Re: Steering coupler or Rag joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
You have to melt the plastic bushing out first. There are several threads about how to do this. I used a propane torch. Once it begins to ooze out, just pull it apart. DONT breath the fumes. Once it cools (may need a little cleaning out) it will telescope to the needed length. Add a little grease to keep it from seizing. There are videos in YouTube.
Yes sir. I read up on the collapsing portion of the install & watched a couple YT videos.

Just checking to make sure my process was following the same path concerning whether the 'binding agent' used between the 2 halves of the shaft needed to be completely melted/removed or if you were just minimizing the heat just enough to collapse/expand for the install. The videos I watched showed both approaches.

I'll prob melt the binding agent out as much as possible & clean up each half to allow easier assembly/testing for the final install alignment. Once that's all verified, I'll prep it for final install to finish things up.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 07-26-2019 at 11:42 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote