View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #60
SCOTI

Re: Steering coupler or Rag joint

I picked up some new hardware today. My standard MO is to replace black oxide hardware w/stainless if/when possible. I purchased some SS M8 bolts for this project but they wanted to gall when passing over the shafts @ each end.

So I dropped down a size (now 1/4") to allow easily passing the threaded end of the hardware through. They are now being secured w/a locknut on the end of the bolts vs. relying on the metric threads @ the shaft ends. I put the 1/4" bolt in place & couldn't pull the ends off so that works for me & is easier for servicing.

I drilled through the larger/outer portion of the of the new shaft. I figured I would provide a way to 're-bind' the 2 halves should I decide it's necessary. I played around w/a couple ideas & hot-melt glue would most likely be the binding agent if I decide to do that. For now I just have some plastic plugs over the holes.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote