View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #137
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Good news and bad news.

First the good. I got the starter turning over the engine. Got the wiring pretty much figured out. I also got ignition. It's sparking and firing.

Bad news, can't get gas from the tank to the carb.

What I've figured out. I had 3 wiring issues. First the two wires to the starter were reversed. Second was that I hadn't plugged in the neutral safety switch, third was a loose wire to the ignition switch. Those things got the engine turning under electrical power.

At first there was no spark. I tried checking connections, etc. Nothing. So I pulled the coil and had it tested, and it was ok. So I bought a new ignition module for the HEI $30, for a total of $352. That got it sparking ok. It would fire, seemed to be evenly, with me squirting gas into the carb. After running the battery down, then using jumper cables I checked the hose to the fuel pump and it's still dry. I'm going to have to syphon gas through the line to make sure it's open. Then I'll pour some gas down the line from the carb and see if that will prime the pump and get some flow going. If I can get gas to the pump and it still doesn't work, I'll have to try another pump.

I'm confident now that it'll run once it gets a steady flow of gas. I'll try some more this weekend. I already have a short list of things to work on.

Hook up exhaust pipes
Change tranny dipstick tube
Put in new kickdown cable
Tie back the wiring after finishing the hook ups

And the big one, TEST DRIVE!
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote