View Single Post
Old 03-15-2023, 08:53 PM   #11
2500HD

Re: Drive line angle questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
3 degrees references the operating angle of the ujoint, not a component. The components create the operating angle. Operating angle is what is important. Understand, it is not like the ujoint explodes if that number is exceeded. It is said the life of joint is decreased if above 3 degrees. I have had two previous 4x4's and my current one. Past two and current had and will exceed that 3 degree theshold. Never had a problem with ujoint life or excessive vibrations. My current build will have about a 15 degree driveshaft angle at ride height and 25+ degrees at full droop. It will give me about 5 degrees operating angle on the joints in the double cardan cv at ride height. Will live a long service life. The operating angles constantly change while driving with any suspension. Need to get them close at ride height. IMO many people over think this.
i agree with you and i think we are saying the same thing. if the componets are correct so will the ujoint operating angle. the one thing we may not agree on is what excessive vibration is. In my opinion any driveline vibration is excessive. Unless a vehicle has a big lift there is no reason the component angles and therefore the oprtating angles cant be really close. I just went though this on my truck and as it turned out the brake drums were causing the vibration.
Now ZZ454/4L80E/Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4/3:73 Eaton Posi
PS PB and cold factory air
Early Classic 4.5/6
Front 20X8.5 Riddler 4.75 inch bs Pirelli 255/40/20
Rear 20X10 Riddler 5.5 inch bs Toyo 295/40/40
Rear end is original wide 6 lug converted to 5 lug
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote